Florida International University's inaugural Global Positioning Showcase (GPS) brings FIU to Berlin, Germany in June 2016. The main goal of this program is to showcase FIU's preeminent scholarship and global successes to the world stage to earn recognition as a top higher education institution.
As part of the program, FIU will hold a panel discussion on "Cuba between the Past and the Future," emphasizing Cuba's changing relationships with the United States and the European Union. Organized by the FIU Miami-Florida Jean Monnet European Center of Excellence, the panel will feature the following scholars:
- Dr. Jorge Duany, Director, Cuban Research Institute, FIU
- Dr. Katrin Hansing, Associate Professor of Anthropology, Baruch College (CUNY)
- Ambassador Martin Palous, Director, Václav Havel Program for Human Rights & Diplomacy, FIU
- Ana Rusch, Ph.D. candidate in Anthropology, FIU
- Dr. Martha Zapata Galindo, Professor of Sociology, Free University of Berlin (discussant)
- Dr. Rebecca Friedman, Co-Director, Miami-Florida Jean Monnet European Center of Excellence, FIU (moderator)
The discussion will take place on Sunday, June 19, 2016, from 2:45 to 4:00 PM at the Senatssaal, Humboldt University, Unter den Linden 6, 10099 Berlin.
For more information on the Global Positioning Showcase in Berlin, please click here.